Decatur Truck Accident Attorney
SERIOUS CASES. SERIOUS TRIAL LAWYERS. SERIOUS RESULTS.
Spinal Cord Injury
Spinal Cord Injury
We Fight for the Rights of Semi-Truck Accident Victims in Decatur
At Lourie, Chance, Forlines, Carter & King, PC, our Decatur commercial truck accident lawyers are proud to fight for the rights of the people who need help the most—injured victims and their families. We hold big trucking companies and commercial insurance carriers accountable. If you or your loved one was hurt in a tractor trailer crash in DeKalb County, we are here to help. Contact us today for a free consultation with a top-tier Decatur truck accident attorney.
What to Do After a Semi-Truck Crash in Decatur, Georgia
With major highways running throughout DeKalb County, Decatur sees more than its fair share of large commercial trucking traffic. A fully loaded tractor trailer can weigh as much as 80,000 pounds. When a crash happens, the consequences can be catastrophic. The National Safety Council (NSC) reports that nearly 6,000 fatal semi-truck accidents happen in the U.S. each year. The immediate aftermath of a trucking crash is stressful. Knowing what to do can make the difference. Here are four essential steps to take after a semi-truck accident in Decatur:
- Stop Your Car and Report Your Accident: Georgia law requires all motorists to stop their automobile and stay at the scene of the crash—but for medical emergencies. Report your truck collision to law enforcement, such as the City of Decatur Police Department.
- Seek Immediate Medical Support to Any Injuries: All truck accident injuries should be evaluated by a doctor. Get prompt medical attention. Doing so not only helps to protect your safety, it is a required step in Georgia’s personal injury claims process.
- Thoroughly Document the Truck Crash: You cannot effectively hold a trucking company legally responsible for a crash without evidence. Make sure that you make a proactive effort to document the crash. An attorney can help.
Speak to a Decatur Lawyer Before an Insurance Adjuster: Insurance companies are out to protect their own financial interests—not to do what is best for your family. Consult with a Decatur, GA truck accident attorney before giving a statement to an insurance adjuster.
Understanding Semi-Truck Accident Liability
Truck Accident Liability is Based on Fault
Fault matters. Legal responsibility for a truck accident is determined in Georgia by establishing which party is at fault. A negligent party—whether trucker, trucking company, or anyone else—may bear liability for the damages associated with a crash.
Georgia is a Comparative Negligence Jurisdiction
Georgia is a “modified comparative fault” state (O.C.G.A. § 51-11-7). A party’s ability to recover damages in an accident is reduced by their own percentage of negligence. To be clear, Georgia allows for damage recovery even when a claimant is partially at fault—but not if they are 50 percent or more responsible for the commercial trucking accident.
A Two-Year Statute of Limitations for Truck Accident Injury Claims
Georgia law sets a two-year statute of limitations for truck accident injury lawsuits. There are only limited exceptions to the law. If you fail to bring your claim before the deadline runs out, you may not even be able to pursue financial compensation at all. Do not wait to initiate your claim: Connect with a top-tier Decatur, GA auto accident attorney right away after a major wreck.
Truck Accident Victims in Decatur Deserve Full and Fair Compensation
In Georgia, a negligent trucking company—and its insurance carriers—can be held legally responsible for an injured victim’s economic and non-economic losses. Our Decatur, GA commercial truck accident lawyers fight hard to help injured victims maximize their settlement or verdict. You may be able to recover financial compensation for the following types of damages:
- Vehicle repairs or vehicle replacement;
- Emergency medical care;
- Hospital bills and other medical costs;
- Ongoing and long-term medical treatment;
- Loss of wages and loss of earning power;
- Pain and suffering;
- Mental distress;
- Physical impairment; and
- Wrongful death.
How Our Decatur Tractor Trailer Accident Attorney Can Help
Semi-truck accident claims are among the most complex, challenging types of personal injury cases. At Lourie, Chance, Forlines, Carter & King, PC, we are a law firm devoted to protecting the rights of injured victims in Georgia—and we have the specialized knowledge, skills, and experience to handle truck accident cases in DeKalb County. Among other things, our Decatur truck accident lawyer will:
- Listen to what you have to say and answer your personal injury questions;
- Conduct a detail-driven investigation of your accident and your injuries;
- Guide you through the legal paperwork and represent you in settlement talks; and
- Develop a results-driven strategy to maximize your financial compensation.
Contact Our Decatur, GA Truck Accident Attorney Today
At Lourie, Chance, Forlines, Carter & King, PC, our Decatur semi-truck accident lawyers are the advocates that you can trust. If you were hurt in a semi-truck crash, we are prepared to help. Contact our legal team today for your free, no commitment case review. We handle commercial truck accident claims in Decatur, DeKalb County, and throughout all of Northeast Georgia.
"My family and I turned to Stephen Chance and Lance Lourie to help us through a very bad situation concerning our mother and a nursing home. They helped us with their knowledge and caring attitude...."