Failure to Diagnose
SERIOUS CASES. SERIOUS TRIAL LAWYERS. SERIOUS RESULTS.
Spinal Cord Injury
Spinal Cord Injury
REPRESENTING CLIENTS IN ATLANTA, AUGUSTA, COLUMBUS, MACON, SAVANNAH, GAINESVILLE, LAWRENCEVILLE, DECATUR, JONESBORO & THROUGHOUT GEORGIA
Diagnosis is the foundation of medicine. There can be no effective treatment or even palliative care without an accurate diagnosis of the condition ailing the patient. That’s why misdiagnosis cases are so very dangerous.
Our Atlanta medical malpractice lawyers frequently handle cases that could have ended with a healthy, happy patient if the initial diagnosis had been accurate. Any treatment, no matter how technologically advanced and skillfully applied, is worthless if the condition it attempts to treat is not present.
Diagnosis can be tricky, but doctors and other medical professionals are still expected to adhere to strict standards of care when diagnosing a patient. Failure to do so is medical malpractice and entitles the victim to compensation well beyond the insignificant offerings of insurance companies.
If you’re a Columbus, Decatur, or Atlanta, Georgia area resident in need of an experienced medical malpractice lawyer, please contact Lourie, Chance, Forlines, Carter & King, PC online or by calling 404-760-7400 for a free consultation.
COMMONLY MISDIAGNOSED CONDITIONS
When you visit your doctor or hospital, you expect them to take your condition seriously. You have a right to be listened to and treated as a potential patient. However, many patients, especially women, can find themselves ignored, condescended to or outright accused of lying. Even when medical professionals attempt to diagnose your condition, they often make mistakes that prevent them from discovering the truth.
Our medical malpractice lawyers have helped patients who suffered from undiagnosed:
- Cancer – Failure to diagnose cancer may be the responsibility of the general physician who is first presented with symptoms or it may be the fault of a diagnostic laboratory technician who fails to interpret or communicate the results of an X-ray, CT scan or MRI
- Heart attacks – Upon detailed investigation of your accident, we may learn that you did not get an EKG as you should have or your doctor did not check the level of your cardiac enzymes, or you did not receive the catheterization or stent placement that might have been able to prevent or mitigate the damage caused by your heart attack.
- Brain Abscess – With correct treatment and care, a brain abscess can be brought under control with no lasting harm done. Treatment will probably involve aspiration of the fluid in the abscess with a long needle, followed by antifungal or antibiotics or antifungal drugs, and perhaps steroids or diuretics.
- Compartment Syndrome – You could have recovered most of your normal functions with timely diagnosis and treatment. However, misdiagnosis or failure to diagnose and treat compartment syndrome in a timely manner can result in lasting damage up to and including paralysis, amputation or death.
- Meningitis – Meningitis, like stroke or heart attack, can often be beat through appropriate and prompt intervention. People reporting to emergency rooms with vomiting, severe headache, high fever, and other symptoms of meningitis should be screened and triaged promptly.
- Postoperative infection – A post-operative infection is not complicated to treat in most cases if it is caught in time. If you became ill after surgery and after your doctor ignored your symptoms of infection such as fever, redness and pain you may have a claim for medical malpractice.
Other conditions that may be misdiagnosed or ignored completely include:
- Lyme disease
- Pulmonary embolisms
- Epidural abscess including cervical abscess and spinal abscess
Obviously, many of these conditions are fatal if left untreated. In many cases, you may even discover the condition later, when it is too late for early treatment to be of any use. When this happens to you, our team or Georgia medical malpractice attorneys are prepared to take your case as far as needed to help ensure you are provided every penny you are due.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP
Medical malpractice cases are incredibly complicated. Finding an attorney with the skill and experience to properly evaluate your claim and make a compelling argument that a diagnosis was missed can seem difficult. Our Atlanta medical malpractice lawyers have decades of experience with these cases. We understand the standards of care for diagnosing serious conditions and we know what it looks like when a doctor violates these standards. When this happens to you, we are here to help your family hold all negligent parties accountable and get the justice you deserve.
If you’re a Columbus, Decatur, or Atlanta, Georgia area resident and you’ve been hurt by a misdiagnosis, our Atlanta medical malpractice lawyers want to talk to you. Please call us at 404-760-7400 to schedule a free consultation and learn more about your rights.
"My family and I turned to Stephen Chance and Lance Lourie to help us through a very bad situation concerning our mother and a nursing home. They helped us with their knowledge and caring attitude...."