Decatur Medical Malpractice Attorney
SERIOUS CASES. SERIOUS TRIAL LAWYERS. SERIOUS RESULTS.
Spinal Cord Injury
Spinal Cord Injury
Hurt Due to Medical Negligence in Decatur? Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation
At Lourie, Chance, Forlines, Carter & King, PC, our Decatur medical malpractice lawyers have the specialized knowledge, skills, and expertise to protect your rights and your interests. Negligent doctors, negligent hospitals, and other negligent health care providers must be held accountable. If you or your loved one suffered medical complications after receiving substandard care, we are here to help you fight for lasting justice. Contact our legal team today to set up your free, fully confidential consultation with an experienced Decatur medical malpractice attorney.
Medical Malpractice Takes Many Different Forms
In Georgia, medical providers—both individual and institutional—have a duty to provide high quality care to patients. When they fail to do so, people can suffer serious harm. Patients can hold health care providers legally liable for medical malpractice when negligence (substandard care) is the cause of harm. Medical malpractice takes several different forms, including:
- Misdiagnosis or Delayed Diagnosis: Patients need an accurate, timely diagnosis. Diagnostic errors—including misdiagnosis, delayed diagnosis, and failure to diagnose—are among the leading causes of medical malpractice claims in Georgia.
- Surgical Errors: Surgery is a big deal. It should be handled with the highest level of skill and care by top professionals. Surgical errors—from wrong side operations to retained medical instruments—can cause catastrophic harm to patients.
- Failure to Properly Treat: As a type of medical malpractice, failure to properly treat occurs when a doctor correctly diagnoses a condition but fails to prescribe an appropriate treatment plan. Without the right treatment, a proper diagnosis is not enough.
- Anesthesia Errors: Anesthesia is powerful. An error by an anesthesiologist can lead to severe complications, potentially even life-threatening harm to the patient.
- Medication Errors: Prescription drug errors are a type of malpractice involving prescribing the wrong medication, the wrong dosage, a drug that the patient is allergic to, or a drug that causes harmful interactions with other medications.
Understanding Medical Malpractice Laws in Georgia
Medical malpractice lawsuits generally fall under state law. Understanding the nuances of medical malpractice laws in Georgia is crucial for victims and families. Here are three key points that you should understand about medical malpractice claims in Georgia:
- The Standard of Care: In Georgia, the standard of care refers to the level and type of care that a reasonably competent healthcare professional would have provided under similar circumstances. A medical provider that fails to abide by the standard of care may be liable for malpractice.
- The Statute of Limitations: Under Georgia law (O.C.G.A. § 9-3-33), patients two years from the date of injury or death to file a medical malpractice claim. The time limit is crucial as any claims filed beyond this period are typically barred—except in certain cases where the injury was not immediately discoverable.
- The Expert Affidavit: Georgia law mandates that a plaintiff filing a medical malpractice lawsuit must also submit an expert affidavit. The affidavit must be from a qualified medical expert who attests to at least one act of negligence by the healthcare provider. As medical malpractice is a highly technical area of law, expert witnesses play a big role in the case.
We Help Medical Malpractice Victims in Decatur Maximize their Compensation
Medical malpractice can leave the victim with stacks of additional medical bills, terrible pain and suffering, and other damages. In Georgia, you have the right to hold the at-fault doctor, hospital, or health provider liable for both economic and non-economic damages. Our Decatur medical malpractice lawyers are committed to helping our clients secure the absolute best results. Through a medical malpractice claim in Georgia, patients may be able to recover financial compensation for:
- Emergency room treatment;
- Medical bills and other health care expenses;
- Ongoing and future medical needs;
- Loss of wages and loss of future earning power;
- Pain and suffering & mental trauma;
- Long-term disability/disfigurement; and
- Wrongful death of a family member.
Why Rely On Our Georgia Medical Negligence Lawyers
Medical malpractice cases are among the most challenging, complex types of personal injury claims. It is imperative that you have a top-tier attorney on your side. At Lourie, Chance, Forlines, Carter & King, PC, we are a proactive and results-driven law firm that has helped clients recover millions of dollars in financial compensation. More specifically, our Decatur medical malpractice lawyers will:
- Listen to what you have to say and explain the next steps in the claims process;
- Investigate the medical malpractice case—gathering evidence to prove liability;
- Ensure that you are connected with the right expert witnesses for your case;
- Advocate for your best interests in settlement negotiations with insurers; and
- Develop a personalized medical malpractice claims strategy.
Contact Our Decatur, GA Medical Malpractice Attorney Today
At Lourie, Chance, Forlines, Carter & King, PC, our Decatur medical malpractice lawyers have the legal and professional experience that you can trust. Were you or a loved one harmed by subpar medical care? We are here to protect your rights. Reach out to us by phone or send us a direct message online to arrange your free, completely confidential consultation. Our firm handles medical malpractice claims in Decatur, DeKalb County, and throughout Northeastern Georgia.
"My family and I turned to Stephen Chance and Lance Lourie to help us through a very bad situation concerning our mother and a nursing home. They helped us with their knowledge and caring attitude...."