Skip to Main Content


Nursing home abuse and neglect is unbelievably common. Tragically, the National Council on Aging has found that only a handful of these cases are even reported. If you are being mistreated by nursing home staff or if you suspect a loved one is suffering abuse or neglect in their care facility, it is important to take swift legal action to help prevent future indignities and to restore safety and security. 

But who is entitled to take legal action against a nursing home?

Victims of Abuse

Victims of nursing home abuse and neglect can take legal action against management, staff, and owners providing they are able to advocate for themselves. Because many nursing home residents are not able to speak for themselves, however, it is often a third-party who files a nursing home abuse lawsuit.


Most often, claims against nursing homes are brought by concerned children or a spouse who suspects mistreatment. These cases can also be brought by a conservator or a legal representative of the victim in cases where such a person has been appointed.

If you suspect a loved one is being abused, it is important that you make several unannounced visits, taking notes each time to reinforce your claim. You can always bring your concerns to management’s attention, but when that fails or is simply not an option, it is advisable to speak with an attorney to learn about your legal rights. 

The nursing home abuse lawyers at Lourie, Chance, Forlines, Carter & King are here to listen, direct, and help. Contact us today to learn more.

Wrongful Death

If a loved one has died from abuse or neglect, some family members may be entitled to file a wrongful death claim. These are most often brought by a surviving spouse, child, or a representative of the estate. As with any type of lawsuit, talking to an attorney will help you determine if you are eligible to take action.

Please call Lourie, Chance, Forlines, Carter & King at 404-760-7400 to schedule your complimentary case review today. We maintain two offices in Atlanta. We serve all surrounding Georgia communities.